Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tuesday's bite

As mentioned, I'm part of a fat fighting group of marvellous women who subscribe to the weight watchers lifestyle. I started WW in September and soon found the support of this great bunch of ladies and have not looked back since! Well, from time to time the motivation has wavered, but the girls have been there to pull me back on course whenever it's needed.

While it may be taking me a little longer than planned to reach my goal, I do enjoy the WW way, being able to eat what I want, when I want - so long as I account for it within my set points.

One of the greatest aspects of being part of the group is sharing yummy yummy recipes! A few years ago if you had told me I'd be eating tofu or lentils - and loving them - I'd have scoffed a laugh! But when one of the girls suggested this WW recipe I decided to give it go, and boy is it good! It's a great dish to cook a big batch of and freeze to have for lunch throughout the week - keeping you full all afternoon long!

But let me get off my soapbox and share the recipe with you, it's a cracker!


RED LENTIL AND TOFU CURRY

Adapted slightly :) from www.weightwatchers.com.au
Points value: 4.5
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 50 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Ingredients
2 tsp (s) vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbs (s) curry paste, (tikka curry paste)
1 tbs (s) ground cumin
400 g canned chopped tomatoes
3 whole stock cube, dissolved in 3 cups (750ml) hot water
1/2 cup (s) dry lentils, (red), rinsed, drained
175 g fresh green beans, ends trimmed
300 g cauliflower, trimmed, cut into florets
300g brocolli, trimmed, cut into florets
2 carrots, chopped
200 g Tofu, cut into 1.5cm cubes
3/4 cup (s) raw white rice, (basmati)

Instructions
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until very soft and golden brown. Add garlic, curry paste and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

Stir in tomatoes, stock and lentils. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid lentils catching on the bottom of the pan.

Add beans and cauliflower, and cook for 5 minutes. Add tofu and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and tofu is heated through.

Meanwhile, cook rice according to packet instructions. Serve curry on rice :)

Notes
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. This curry is best reheated in the microwave.

0 comments:

Post a Comment